Sunday, November 13, 2011

We are goin to Monte Carlo!

Michelle tends to see all the good movies before I do and Monte Carlo was no exception. One rough thing about Michelle being in Colorado is that we don't get to go see our "type" of movies together in the theater so I have to wait for them to come out on DVD. I have to say, Monte Carlo was so cute it was worth the wait!


The premise of the movie is that three girls go together to Paris before being swept off to Monte Carlo through a series of mistaken identities. I'm glad that Katie Cassidy had a better time in Paris than she did in Taken... that would have been a much different movie.

Selena Gomez, while unlikely to win any acting awards in her career, was incredibly likeable in her role as Grace/Cordelia. This movie is very character and plot driven, and it definitely made you root for Grace to be an underdog winner.

Yes, the pitfalls of all young romantic comedies are included in Monte Carlo. You're always waiting for the other shoe to drop and for Grace to be found out. Boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl cannot be together but in the end find a way to make it work. It's a pretty regular story line, but it was just so sweet in this movie.

This movie had a couple scenes that were really good teaching moments. I especially liked the scene when Emma was out to dinner with the prince and stood up to clear tables because she knew that "there are people for that." She thought she wanted to be a princess but found out that it's nice just to be yourself.

I also loved the Meg/Riley story. Leighton Meester was a perfect casting choice and thawed out her ice queen role nicely throughout the movie.

I will definitely be watching Monte Carlo again! This is a movie that I plan on buying and that I hope comes with a digital copy so that I can watch it over whenever I need a girly fix. Sometimes you just need a cute, silly little romantic movie, don't you?

Xoxo,
Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment