Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pretty Little Liars Book 1 Discussion

Jennie:

1. Alison doesn't seem like a good friend. It seems like she is trying to make her friends uncomfortable with just how much she knows about them. I think the intro chapter is very interesting (in the TV show it seems like this is covered in multiple flashbacks) because it really shows what the girls were like when they had Ali as this frenemy character. The way she is characterized I don't think Ali could ever be a good friend.

2. I think the author is trying to set up that being dishonest isn't a black and white issue in these books, there are grey areas, all the girls will have moments of dishonesty. Is this a good thing? I don't know. But I think it serves its purpose and I don't think that the girls are necessarily bad girls.

3. I think the meanest message is the one sent to Hanna. The way I saw it, the other three girls got messages that were more like "I see you, I know what you're doing" whereas Hanna's message is much more pointed and talks about her past and makes a personal attack. It's downright mean.

4. They each seem to think they have a deep connection with her (funny how none of them seem friends with one another outside of their friendship with Ali) but I almost think Emily had the deepest connection since there was a little bit more than their friendship... I don't really know though.

5. I would like to think Wren is a different story. It seems like she actually likes him and as more than just a fancy doctor to bring home to her parents. They talk about books and they talk about sports and she defends him. That's more than just creating jealousy.

6. They definitely don't seem like best friends, they seem like acquaintences. They aren't undermining one another, though, so I wouldn't call them frenemies. I definitely wouldn't say they can rely on one another. This is a friendship that is held at arms length.

7. I don't think Maya is either good or bad. She's helping break Emily out of her shell. She's more good than bad in my opinion.

8. Nobody really knows Aria, she's trying very hard to be someone different. Ezra may just be a fling, I don't really know. I think a major part of the attraction is that he didn't know her before.

9. This was ridiculous! Her parents should have never been allowed to have another child. It's so obvious that they support Melissa and that Spencer is the odd child out, but seriously? I was absolutely shocked by her treatment.

10. Ali must have had her own secrets, but I don't know that any of the liars knew any of them. This is a really interesting character trait for Ali, she has to know everything about anyone but doesn't want anyone knowing anything about her. It makes you really wonder what she's hiding. I'm thinking that we will have to hear more about some of Ali's secrets in later books. I'm looking forward to finding out what skeletons are in her closet (and I'm sure the liars are too).

11. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a third party involved that Ali told everyone's secrets to. It seems very in line with her character to tell other people's secrets. She seems to feel the need to control the flow of information and it wouldn't surprise me if she already had it controlled. Bad friend if this is the case!

12. I don't like Ali. I don't think she was a good friend to the girls. She was too controlling. I rarely like the queen bee character and Ali is the quintessential queen bee.

13. I think Spencer is my favorite, but I really find that I respond to all of the girls in different ways. I like that Spencer is willing to stick up for people the way she sticks up for Wren with her family, and even how she didn't always go along with Ali. It's interesting that she's the only one who ever seemed to stand up to Ali.

14. Based on personality traits I would have to say that I'm probably most like Emily (aside from the whole Maya thing, come on...). I'm a goody two shoes to the max. I'm always terrified that if I do something wrong that not only will EVERYONE find out about it, but that they will all be extra disappointed in me. Emily is that exact way.

15. This was a bit of a problem for me, but I guess it's pretty practical for other people's high school experience. Do I think the book is appropriate for younger teens? no.

16. I'm enjoying the book because it's giving more detail about the girls. It's almost like a prequel or a pilot episode to the tv series. I'm looking forward to seeing how subsequent books shake up in terms of the show. This book almost seemed like the first episode. I'm ready for the girls to actually spend time together instead of everything being separate. I like them as friends in the TV show, they aren't friends yet in the book and that just isn't as fun... hopefully next book!

Michelle:


1. Alison was never a good friend to any of the girls. I view her as each girl’s internal demon. She knows exactly how to push their buttons and uses it every chance she gets. She does this because she may seem confident and an open book to each girl, however she actually has many secrets that none of them will ever know. Each girl knows a secret of their own, but they are too scared to reveal that secret to the rest of the girls. Alison is insecure and uses the other girls’ insecurities to protect herself. The other girls on the other hand have always felt like the outcasts and feel that Alison brought them together when really Alison is the outcast and they bring themselves together.

2. I think it is a mixture of their personality traits as well as being understandable. They are so use to “hiding” things from the Jenna incident to all the other things Alison made them do, that it’s natural for them to lie and hide things. Each girl demonstrates this in their own way dependent on their personality. For instance Emily is just looking for her place in the world and hiding from who she really is, so therefore she hides from Maya. Aria has always felt out of place and older than her peers, so when she finally meets someone she relates to, she lies. Hanna was always the fat unpopular one, so she now does everything she can to be perfect and fit in, even if that means stealing. Spencer has never felt like she was good second best to her sister, so she does whatever she can to compare to Melissa and ultimately is be better than her.

3. I think the meanest message from “A” is the one sent to Emily. Emily is confused with her sexuality and who she is, so for “A” to rub that in her face, that is beyond cruel. While each girl’s message held it’s own level of cruelty, no one else’s message directly related to the girl.

4. I think each girl was closer with Ali than with one another because Ali was the key to their friendship. After she disappeared, the girls stopped being friends. They suddenly did not have anything else in common with each other. The girl’s wanted desperately to be accepted by Ali and would do anything Ali wanted them to do. None of the girl’s felt this need with each other, nor did they have their own adventures and secrets. The only secrets within the group involved Ali and usually one other girl.

5.I think Spencer goes after Wren because she wants to prove once and for all she is better then Melissa. She has been fighting for that chance her entire life and she is finally starting to shine. While some of her reasoning comes from her jealousy of Melissa, I think she also goes after Wren because she can. Spencer is finally starting to see that she does not have to live in Melissa’s shadow, and that Melissa can’t control her.

6. I defiantly think Mona and Hanna are frenimies. For example when they are sitting at the country club talking about Hanna being arrested, Mona is quick to point out that Hanna’s face is spotty. A true friend would never call out their friend like that. They are both judgmental of each other and I believe they would turn on each other at any moment. However I think Mona is much more of a friend to Hanna than Hanna is to Mona. Mona was the outcast in the beginning and Hanna would openly make fun of her with Ali. Mona always wanted to be her friend, while Hanna only wanted to be her friend when they both went on a total makeover journey.

7. I think Maya is a great influence for Emily. Emily is trying to find herself whether that is being interested in girls, or wanting to continue swimming. Maya is open to Emily being whoever she wants to be and is bringing Emily out of her comfort zone. Without Maya, I don’t believe Emily would ever have had the courage to stand up to her mom or be who she wants to be.

8. I’m not sure Ezra really is special to Aria or if it’s only because he doesn’t know her background. I believe they have a real connection but I think Aria could have that with anyone if she would just give them a chance. However Ezra is special to Aria in a way because he doesn’t know her past and therefore she can be herself without worry that he is judging her. It will be interesting to see how the relationship progresses throughout the rest of the series. As far as post-Iceland Aria goes, I don’t think anyone really knows her. While Ezra knows her current self the best of anyone, he doesn’t know her past so I don’t think he can really know her. As far as everyone else in her life, she won’t let them in enough to really know her either. She is very guarded like all the other girls are.

9. I think the confrontation was true to their family. They are constantly striving to be perfect and better than each other and that is a clear message in the confrontation as well. They clearly have their favorites and Spencer is never going to be their favorite.

10. I think Ali has a lot of secrets. She did not become who she is and she did not disappear without having secrets. I believe these secrets are withheld to keep the mystery of the series going. If we knew Ali’s secrets, then we would probably know who killed her and who “A” is. I also believe these secrets are withheld because the book is really about the other four girls rather then Ali. I think overtime we will learn more about Ali and her past.

11. I honestly have no idea how “A” knows so much. I think it is very possible that Alison had another friend that she told everything to. Her personality defiantly suggests that she is not trustworthy and that she wouldn’t hesitate to spill the other girls’ secrets. Another possibility is that someone has been watching them from the start. One of Ali’s secrets could lead to the revelation that someone was following her and that’s also why she disappeared. Maybe the other girls accidently got caught in a game Ali was playing with someone else.  As far as why that person would now torture the girls, I do not know but I think it could be a possibility that someone was a witness to same exact events that Ali was a witness to. Ali did always like to play games.

12. From what I know of Alison I do not like her. I think she is an insecure manipulator that only brought trouble for the girls. The only positive thing I have to say about Alison is that she is what made the girls become friends and who they are today. She gave them confidence and each girl was able to realize their potential because of her. If she had not been in their lives, I do not think they would have ever been friends and that they would be entirely different people.

13. My favorite liar is Aria followed by Spencer. Aria is different from the rest and has her own unique interests that she is constantly exploring. I relate to her on so many levels and I think she will always bring something new to the situation. Spencer is my second favorite because she is so intelligent and beautiful at the same time. I think she represents how every woman should be… strong and independent. My least favorite liar is Hanna. I think she is such a spoiled brat and reminds me of all the posers and fakes I have met. She is constantly looking to be someone else instead of simply being herself. Last but not least I have to mention Emily. I’m neutral on Emily. I do not find her interesting in a good or bad way. While her character is vital to the series, I find it hard to relate to her on a personal level.

14. As I mentioned in question 13, I relate to Aria the most. Throughout high school I was constantly adapting to find where I fit in. I finally found where was that and haven’t looked back since. I’ve never been scared to be who I am and have found that inner confidence although I still have those doubts. I also relate to her relationship with Ezra because of the games she played with him to get him to want her back. Those games are all too familiar in my earlier relationships.

15. I think these issues are a problem in this book because those issues are never addressed as being wrong. Young girls are reading these books and thinking that it is acceptable behavior. There is not a single statement made about these not being acceptable behavior. In general I do not think that there is a problem with drug and alcohol use, as well as sex in young adult novels, as long as these issues are addressed. It would be unrealistic to not mention these issues, as sadly they are a common issue in reality, however discouraging the reader could potentially go a long way.

16. So far I think the book and the TV show add up pretty much dead on. The only main issue I have noticed is Emily does not have a sister (to my knowledge) in the show, however Emily interacts with her sister on a regular basis in the book. I’m also curious to see how the series continues, since the first book is the first episode of the show. I expected the book to include at least a few episodes but it did not. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues. One of my biggest questions with the shoe is who “A” is and if each book is just one episode, I’m worried we may never know who is “A” is.

1 comment:

  1. Jennie I can totally see you as an Emily minus the whole lesbian thing now that you mention it. I was finding Emily hard to relate to till you mentioned her being a goody two shoes. I never really thought of her like that but I can see it now. Thanks for opening my eyes haha. It seems we have very similar views on the book and that we are both enjoying the series.

    ReplyDelete